Experiencing a property or liability loss can be a traumatic experience no matter how small the loss may be. Your agent and our staff here at Mid-Hudson Co-Operative Insurance Company want to make it a less stressful experience for you. Call your agent or Mid-Hudson Co-Operative Insurance Company (800-721-5001) immediately and protect your property.
Protect the Property
No matter the type of loss, it is your responsibility to take reasonable steps to protect your property from any further damage.
One of the most important things to do after a property loss is make temporary repairs to prevent any further damage. Some insurance policies may not cover ensuing damage to your property if you have not taken reasonable steps to secure the property from subsequent damage. Be careful not to risk your own safety when making the repairs.
Your insurance company will reimburse you for all reasonable costs to protect your covered property, as long as you save receipts for any materials you buy.
Remember that payments for temporary repairs are part of the total loss settlement. Also, don’t make extensive permanent repairs until after the claims adjuster has been to your home and assessed the damage.
Call Your Insurance Agent or Company Representative
To ensure that your claim is processed as quickly as possible, please have the following information available when you call to report your claim to your agent. Your agent’s name and phone number can be found in the upper right hand corner of your policy declaration page. However, please do not delay reporting the claim if you do not have all the information requested.
- Policy number
- Date of loss
- Your name and address
- Location of loss
- Description of loss
- Police or fire report/police report number/precinct or fire department responding
- What caused the loss?
- Approximate dollar amount of loss (if known)
- Name and telephone number of person to contact to discuss claim
Remember to ask such questions as:
- Does my policy cover the property damage to my home?
- How long will it take to process my claim?
- Will I need to obtain estimates for repairs to the structure?
- What is my deductible? (The deductible is the portion of the loss you pay before your insurance company begins to pay.)